SteamPunk Clothing.

EVERYTHING else besides fedoras.
Herb Roflcopter

SteamPunk Clothing.

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:02 am

I posted a link to this place back on the old FC site; they're still around but changed their name slightly.

https://www.historicalemporium.com/steampunk.php

For a memory refresher, I bought a shirt from them years ago:

AeroDillo MkII

Re: SteamPunk Clothing.

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 am

Coincidentally, I just ordered some stuff from Historical Emporium. I was surprised at the quality, having been burned a fair bit by costume-grade crap over the years. As expenses allow I imagine I'll be sending some more business their way.

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:48 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:12 am
Coincidentally, I just ordered some stuff from Historical Emporium. I was surprised at the quality, having been burned a fair bit by costume-grade crap over the years. As expenses allow I imagine I'll be sending some more business their way.
Their customer service level is well above average; when I first ordered the shirt it was the wrong size, but they were most helpful in getting the order returned and a correct one shipped out quickly.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 pm

IS there a difference between steampunk and diesel punk?
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 am

Blackthorn wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 pm

That one had me for a bit too but I've discovered that there is a difference. Both "Punks" are based on an assumed history that extends the technology of their day to what I guess you could call science fiction levels. SteamPunk is based on a history where the primary source of energy is steam so this would be the realm of Victorian/Edwardian era science. Think Jules Verne, the original "Wild Wild West", "The Golden Compass", "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", and even to a degree the Robert Downey JR "Sherlock Holmes".

DieselPunk is based in a history where the diesel engine and associated technologies are a primary source of energy. This punk also allows for some Art Deco influence. Think "Rocketeer", "Tank Girl", "Sucker Punch", and I hate to add this, "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

Sorry that I had to use films to illustrate this but it was the best I could think of.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:14 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 am
Blackthorn wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:05 pm

That one had me for a bit too but I've discovered that there is a difference. Both "Punks" are based on an assumed history that extends the technology of their day to what I guess you could call science fiction levels. SteamPunk is based on a history where the primary source of energy is steam so this would be the realm of Victorian/Edwardian era science. Think Jules Verne, the original "Wild Wild West", "The Golden Compass", "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen", and even to a degree the Robert Downey JR "Sherlock Holmes".

DieselPunk is based in a history where the diesel engine and associated technologies are a primary source of energy. This punk also allows for some Art Deco influence. Think "Rocketeer", "Tank Girl", "Sucker Punch", and I hate to add this, "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow".

Sorry that I had to use films to illustrate this but it was the best I could think of.
Ah, now I get it!! Thank you, my friend, it seems to obvious now!
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but steampunk also seems to be somewhat more idealistic and fanciful in its execution whereas dieselpunk runs grittier and more cynical.

Could just be me, though.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:54 am

Blackthorn wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:14 pm
Ah, now I get it!! Thank you, my friend, it seems to obvious now!
No problem, my friend. I had to have it explained to me by a cosplayer for whom English is a second language and while there were some communication difficulties I think I got the gist of it. :)

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:55 am

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:38 pm
I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but steampunk also seems to be somewhat more idealistic and fanciful in its execution whereas dieselpunk runs grittier and more cynical.

Could just be me, though.

Good point, Dillo. I think you are quite correct.

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:59 pm

Once you see the difference it becomes more evident. However I do believe you can always blurr the lines and cross over between the two if done right. Let’s not forget there is also the atompunk that is more In the tune of the Jetsons.