The Abstract Photo Thread!

Movies, music, books, video games... you name it.
Cousi

Re: The Abstract Photo Thread!

Post by Cousi » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:08 am
Been in the machine shop, have you?
That's what I thought, too. Nice image though.

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:17 am

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:08 am
Been in the machine shop, have you?
Cousi wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:45 pm
That's what I thought, too. Nice image though.
About 7 months ago I was picking up dog crap for a living when it hit me- I was picking up dog crap for a living.

I spent the next 6 months looking for something- anything- just to get some sort of job I could be look forward to going to each morning. (My once-promising maintenance career fizzled into a glorified janitorial gig, with a rotten emergency call rotation where one person is on call 24/7 for 30 days straight.)

So I now I have an entry-level machinist job that doesn't pay as much as my previous employer, but will pay more if I can stick with it. The job requires about 50 hours a week, takes up a lot of my spare time and really is designed for someone about 20 years younger, but at least I'm learning a trade.

It's gratifying that someone was willing to give me one more shot. There isn't much demand for guys like me.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 am

For some reason I keep getting CNC Lathe positions sent to me. I work in IT. Not sure if that's something you'd consider but I seem to recall you being pretty good with computers so maybe that's a direction to take the machining into. I've known a few machinists and they're all good, hard working people. It's an honorable profession.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:38 am

I need more machinists for that shop I'll open...eventually.

Just throwing that out there. :shock:

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:18 am

Cousi wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:56 am
For some reason I keep getting CNC Lathe positions sent to me. I work in IT. Not sure if that's something you'd consider but I seem to recall you being pretty good with computers so maybe that's a direction to take the machining into. I've known a few machinists and they're all good, hard working people. It's an honorable profession.
AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:38 am
I need more machinists for that shop I'll open...eventually.

Just throwing that out there. :shock:
I'm currently at the mistake-making level, so it's a bit rough right now. Part of the problem is that most of my co-workers have English as their second language, and everyone has their own style, so I often get conflicting information, or not enough. But, I'm managing and it's more fulfilling than picking up dog crap.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:25 am

I'll have to put up a picture of the SuperChip one of these days.

Made on a 1940-dated lathe the size of a minivan, turning approximately 16rpm and taking a .250 cut with a burnt-out carbide cutter. It was something to see. I've still got a length of it rolling around my toolbox somewhere.

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:33 am

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:25 am
I'll have to put up a picture of the SuperChip one of these days.

Made on a 1940-dated lathe the size of a minivan, turning approximately 16rpm and taking a .250 cut with a burnt-out carbide cutter. It was something to see. I've still got a length of it rolling around my toolbox somewhere.

I'd like to see that if you can get a pic. :)

In the meantime, here's more abstract art:

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:45 am

I'm thinking either the bottom of an aquarium or slate rocks for a driveway.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:48 pm

I partially agree with Cousi, that resembles the Pennsylvania shale/slate driveways of my youth.

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:00 am

n11pilot wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:48 pm
I partially agree with Cousi, that resembles the Pennsylvania shale/slate driveways of my youth.
Cousi wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:45 am
I'm thinking either the bottom of an aquarium or slate rocks for a driveway.
Yeah, close enough- it was an area of lawn near a driveway where there would normally be grass- the owners decided rocks would be better.

Speaking of other states, this pic was taken in Missouri- the sidewalks at Johnson's Shut-In State Park are paved in this manner: