Classic movies you never liked

Movies, music, books, video games... you name it.
AeroDillo MkII

Classic movies you never liked

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:12 pm

Despite setting, story, or execution, everybody's got at least a couple of otherwise highly-regarded movies they can't stand. Whether you think it's overrated or outright crap, regardless how much you ought to have loved it...you didn't. Of late I've also developed a theory that most such movies have a near-counterpart, sometimes but not always lesser-known, that succeeds where the more famous picture fell short.

I'll start with two of mine.

Chinatown (1974)

I'm not sure why I couldn't get into this one - I've tried a couple of a times and never made it more than half an hour so before my attention starts to wander. For me Chinatown never really gels as a period piece. All the trappings are there. The details are good. And yet somehow it never clicks, and as it goes on I'm more aware of watching a movie made in the '70s than one based in the '30s.

What to watch instead: L.A. Confidential. All the Byzantine plot twists, secrets, and drama you could want, plus some first-rate gunfights.

Bonnie & Clyde (1967)

I can tell you exactly why I hated this one, hate this one now, and will continue to hate this one until my dying breath. In a sense it suffers a similar disconnect as Chinatown, if on a different bearing.

While nominally a Depression-era crime picture, it's pretty much straight '60s counterculture to the bone. Our ersatz protagonists don't have the underpinnings to be heroes, folk or otherwise, and lack the necessary depth to be antiheroes. They're against The Man. Presumably, if you were there and also against The Man when this turd hit theaters that would suffice. But fifty years on the moment has decided passed, and the cartoonish lawmen, raging banjo soundtrack, and forced attempt at chemistry between the cold-fish leads track more towards embarrassment than any convincing story of underdog nobodies out to get what they can before the curtain falls.

Watch instead: Dillinger. Same general movie territory, but on a larger scale. Coincidentally peopled with actors who aren't set up as symbols of counter-cultural discontent and can therefore turn in performances as characters rather than poor archetypes.
Last edited by AeroDillo MkII on Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Herb Roflcopter

Re: Classic movies you never liked

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:15 am

Great idea for a thread! :)

I have a few of my own, but I'm short on time (50 hour work weeks really drain one's spare time) so I'll get back to this one, hopefully soon.

On a side note regarding your movies, Chinatown was okay in my book, but I only watched it once and have never bothered to see it a second time. I did not care at all for Bonnie & Clyde.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 am

Yeah. I can't say as I actively dislike Chinatown. At worst I'm lukewarm. I mean, I wouldn't erase it from existence or anything...just don't see where it's earned all the accolades over the years.

If this makes any sense, it comes across like singer who nails the lyrics but misses the rhythm.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:28 am

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 am
Yeah. I can't say as I actively dislike Chinatown. At worst I'm lukewarm. I mean, I wouldn't erase it from existence or anything...just don't see where it's earned all the accolades over the years.

If this makes any sense, it comes across like singer who nails the lyrics but misses the rhythm.
You aren't the first person to come away from "Chinatown' with a less than glowing impression. I enjoyed it myself but I know several people who just consider it an entertaining film but not a classic.

I fully agree with your assessment of "Bonnie and Clyde". Or as Uncle Turk once said,"Written by geriatric beatniks for middle class hippies".

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:58 pm

Chinatown is in my top ten list all time, but it's like most things, just personal taste.

One of the worst movies I ever wasted 2+ hours of my life watchings was The Good, the Bad and the Ugly. Wow, that movie sucked. And it's a classic. Probably all of you like it. I just thought it was one of the phoniest movies of all time and I didn't care what happened to ANY of the characters.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:33 am

First, commentary on previously stated movies:
Chinatown I enjoyed it overall but not terribly impressed.
Bonnie and Clyde Meh. Didn't hate it but didn't like it.
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly I enjoyed it, but I have to be in the mood for it. I typically enjoy westerns but they're not my favorites.

The top of my list of Classics I Don't Like is Citizen Kane. I know why it's named after the first murderer; I experienced a slow, agonizing death while watching it. The S2BX-wife and I sat through this monstrosity for over 4 freaking hours and kept expecting, then hoping, then praying it would get good. It never did. It wasn't particularly engrossing. The acting wasn't mind-blowing. The story wasn't terribly impressive. Camerawork was pretty much par for the course, ditto for lighting and sound direction. Maybe costuming and makeup were good for their time but not so much so that I was particularly impressed. I kinda get mad when people continue to put this on the top of 'greatest movies of all time' lists. It patently does not deserve it. Whenever someone says it's the greatest movie of all time I immediately ask them if they've seen it because I firmly believe people say it's great because they think they should say it.

Did I mention it was over 4 hours long? 'Cause that's far too long.

What to watch instead: Aviator. It has everything Kane should have; impressive acting, engrossing story, good costuming and makeup, good camera/lighting/sound work. I don't even particularly like that movie but it's a biopic that I'd recommend over Kane. Or watch Schindler's List that is several notches above Aviator but I can't watch it too often because there are too many damn onions in it. Lawrence of Arabia clocks in at close to 4 hours but it's a hell of a lot more entertaining. I didn't fall asleep in it *mumble* times and have to back-track to find where I dozed off.Amadeus is not as good as Schindler's List and it's still light years ahead of Kane. Killer soundtrack, too. Hell, watch Ash Williams vs the Army of Darkness as it's a much better movie and that's barely a step above a spoof.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:29 am

Lawrence of Arabia is another one on my list. :twisted:

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:44 am

I agree with Blackthorn on "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly". Some call it an adult Western but it is really more of an anti Western in my mid. I can say however that I do like some of the imagery from the film if not the film itself.

I semi agree with Dillo on "Lawrence of Arabia". I did enjoy it it but throughout the film I had the uneasy feeling that I was supposed to get a message that even till today I have not received.

"Citizen Kane" while I can appreciate the cinema techniques and work that went into the film I could never get the awe that is bestowed upon it. I wonder if some film classics are an example of "The Emperor's new Clothes" in that no one wants to admit that that they aren't on board with the critical acclaim?

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:21 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:44 am
I wonder if some film classics are an example of "The Emperor's new Clothes" in that no one wants to admit that that they aren't on board with the critical acclaim?
I have been of that opinion for many years. Yes indeed.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:37 pm

Lawrence of Arabia danced around some uncomfortable things regarding T E Lawrence and his time in that area. 'Uncomfortable' given the social mores of the time-frame when the movie was released, I mean. I re-watched it a couple years ago and I got the distinct impression they wanted to discuss his possible homosexuality but were prevented from doing so. The result is a feeling of building toward a teachable moment that never happens.

I agree about Citizen Kane I think people are afraid to say "what are you talking about? That's a shit movie!" Because we all know how understanding the Hollywood crowd is in regards to people disagreeing with them. :roll: