My A-list of high quality westerns

Classics, film noir, summer blockbusters, and cult classics.
n11pilot

Re: My A-list of high quality westerns

Post by n11pilot » Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:19 pm

Doug's post proves my point. How could I have missed "Tombstone"?

I think we should just say that we like Westerns and settle which ones are the best during the brawl after the Number 6 dance.

Extra credit to anyone who gets the Number 6 dance reference. Yes, it is technically a Western. :)

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 pm

n11pilot is right about Doug Palumbo's being right.

Paraphrased from the same movie as the Number 6.

I can't believe I missed Silverado. I enjoyed Tombstone, but not as much as Silverado. Man, we could really use a good Lone Ranger movie, too.

Although, I also enjoy some really horrible movies like Oblivion so maybe I'm not the best person to judge.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:25 pm

Cousi wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:33 pm
n11pilot is right about Doug Palumbo's being right.
You're right about that. :mrgreen:

I can't believe I missed Silverado. I enjoyed Tombstone, but not as much as Silverado. Man, we could really use a good Lone Ranger movie, too.
I loved the first two thirds of Tombstone...I enjoyed Silverado, too, just watched it last month.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 pm

Yes to everything said so far.

I believe Lonsome Dove is often overlooked but Blackthorn did mention it early on.

Another addition to the list; Open Range

Now because I have read so much about him, I believe the movie Wyatt Earp is historical well done. In fact my only real beef with Tombstone is that Morgan is portrayed as kind of a green wimp. That is not how Morgan has been written about. Unfortunately, Tombstone and Wyatt Earp went into production at the same time. This created a bit of a studio battle for period clothing and such

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:51 am

The Oracle wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:42 pm
Now because I have read so much about him, I believe the movie Wyatt Earp is historical well done. In fact my only real beef with Tombstone is that Morgan is portrayed as kind of a green wimp. That is not how Morgan has been written about. Unfortunately, Tombstone and Wyatt Earp went into production at the same time. This created a bit of a studio battle for period clothing and such

I wondered about the timing of the release of those films. Between the two I prefer "Tombstone".

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm

I agree,

I love Tombstone. Val Kilmer’s Doc Holiday stole the show. It was said that Doc although considered by most to be best of friends with Wyatt, was quite fond of Morgan. When Morgan was killed apparently it was all they could do to keep Doc from going on a killing spree.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:10 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:56 pm
I agree,

I love Tombstone. Val Kilmer’s Doc Holiday stole the show. It was said that Doc although considered by most to be best of friends with Wyatt, was quite fond of Morgan. When Morgan was killed apparently it was all they could do to keep Doc from going on a killing spree.
I never knew that. It gives and added depth to the story.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:44 pm

Blackthorn wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:10 pm
The Oracle wrote:
I agree,

I agree with, Blackthorn. I've read a lot about the Earps and the events in Tombstone and never knew that fact.

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 am

n11pilot wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:44 pm
Blackthorn wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:10 pm
The Oracle wrote:
I agree,

I agree with, Blackthorn. I've read a lot about the Earps and the events in Tombstone and never knew that fact.
The Wyatt Earp movie hinted at this when Dennis Quaid’s Doc said he loved him like he was his own little brother. I can’t remember which one of my books it comes from. I have three books and when I was reading I read them like textbooks at the same time keeping all the books in the same part of the timeline. It was a very interesting way to read the stories and how they matched from different viewpoints.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:44 am

The Oracle wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 am
The Wyatt Earp movie hinted at this when Dennis Quaid’s Doc said he loved him like he was his own little brother. I can’t remember which one of my books it comes from. I have three books and when I was reading I read them like textbooks at the same time keeping all the books in the same part of the timeline. It was a very interesting way to read the stories and how they matched from different viewpoints.

Now that you mention it I do remember that line. I think at the time I took it to be "Doc's" way making sure that the surviving Earps knew that they weren't standing alone.

That is a great way to read different accounts of an event, almost like interviewing witnesses.