Solo: A Star Wars Story

Classics, film noir, summer blockbusters, and cult classics.
The Oracle

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by The Oracle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm

Ok, Where do I go with this one? I finally got around to seeing Solo. I said from the beginning that I would give this movie a chance and I did. In the name of full disclosure, I will say this is one Star Wars movie that I don't think needed to be done. It's not the thought of a young Han being played by a actor other than Ford. In the original Star Wars, Han was already 10-15 years older than the events in this movie, so like the young IJ show, it would have made sense even if it was done long ago.

There have been many Han and Chewie adventures in books and comics and when I was younger I tried to get into these, but I guess I always felt Star Wars was a visual story so I never really got into reading Star Wars novels.

About the movie. First, I enjoyed the story. It is a good origin story. I didn't mind the the actors portrayals of Han and Lando, I believe that Ehrenreich and Glover did the characters justice. We didn't need to set up who the characters were because unless you have lived under a rock for 40 years you know who they are. So between the visuals and the transformation of the characters (yes the Falcon is a character in Star Wars in my opinion) into a more familiar version, I felt that even when something was predictable it worked.

What I didn't like about the movie is the supporting characters stories. The events in the movie set the stage for the character we came to love. Lets face it, Solo was never intended to be such a beloved character. The original story could have been told without him after the first movie, just as Ford said his character no longer played a essential part after the beginning of Empire. So, when Han joins to the Empire as a means to escape Correllia, and goes to the imperial academy to be a pilot, we don't get any of this; we are fast-forwarded to a time after he is kicked out. Also, the circle he is running with doesn't really make you feel like these are heavy hitters who could shape a persons future. If we look at how the original trilogy set up of Jaba the Hut, we get that Han owing money to him is a big deal. I never felt like the syndicate Crimson Dawn was anything more than a shadow organization without any real reach; it seemed like the neither the Empire, nor the Crimson Dawn were in control of any world that was visited. Perhaps it was intended to be that way, but in a story that shapes a future it seems like someone would be a more powerful influence. Some people are making Hans relationship/love interest a big part of the story. I didn't see this as a life altering part of the story that could come back in further movies as has been suggested. The last thing I wanted more of was the Kessel Run. That is such a big part of Han's backstory and the sequence fell flat on me.

Overall, it is a Star Wars movie. *Spoiler* It is the first film without a cameo with R2 and CPO (they should have had a spot in the film). It was fun and I think worth your time if you have not seen it. Big blockbuster? No, but I think held up with the spirit of the Star Wars universe.

Cousi

Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Cousi » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm
Overall, it is a Star Wars movie. *Spoiler* It is the first film without a cameo with R2 and CPO (they should have had a spot in the film). It was fun and I think worth your time if you have not seen it. Big blockbuster? No, but I think held up with the spirit of the Star Wars universe.
I disagree that C3PO and R2D2 should have shown up in some way. It wouldn't make sense. Other than that, I agree with the overall assessment. I really enjoyed it but I watched it not expecting much.

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:33 pm

Cousi,

You are correct that it wouldn’t have fit, I just would have liked them to have fit it in just to keep the tradition alive.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:25 am

Excellent review, Oracle. I've been on the fence about see this film but I think I'll give it a go now. I agree they could have put R2-D2, and C3PO in it in some form even as images on a screen in the background or such.

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm

I saw this in the theater, and simply enjoyed it for being an action-adventure movie. I liked Ron Howard's "Willow", so this is similar in feel. I can understand why some fans may not think certain details jibe with the overall continuity, but in this case nothing stood out to me as a deal-breaker. I guess I was in a very forgiving mood when I saw this.

Maybe one thing took me by surprise: the end reveal of a certain character (I won't spoil anything for those who haven't seen it) who hasn't been seen for years and thought long-dead, but given the box-office performance of Solo was below expectations, there probably won't be any more "Solo" films, so it's a moot point.

On a side note, I watched this with my daughter, who liked it. She did not want to see Rogue One, which although I did like it, found it way too serious for my taste and won't bother owning it on Blu-Ray.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Herb Roflcopter wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm
On a side note, I watched this with my daughter, who liked it. She did not want to see Rogue One, which although I did like it, found it way too serious for my taste and won't bother owning it on Blu-Ray.
Waitasecond - it was too serious for you? Say it ain't so!

Herb Roflcopter

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:29 am

Cousi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:40 pm
Herb Roflcopter wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:51 pm
Waitasecond - it was too serious for you? Say it ain't so!
I should clarify- Rogue One was too serious for my taste, not Solo. :)