The Atari 2600 Thread!

Tell us all about your video games, cheat codes, systems, and other ways you spend countless hours.
Post Reply
User avatar
Herb Roflcopter
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 am

The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Yeah, VERY old-school!

Image

My daughter and I are playing Warlords on a refurbished 2600 console. This model was designed to accept a composite video input, and a red LED power light that my original model did not have.

Also of note is that we play using an old Commodore 64 computer monitor, because the refresh rate on a modern television does not match up at all- new TVs are incompatible with the old technology.

You can buy old cartridges on Ebay for a few bucks; I went and got a copy of Adventure, and found I was not able to complete the harder levels like I used to some 35 years ago. :oops:

User avatar
Cousi
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Cousi » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Curse you for getting older Baz!

I call you Baz because that's how I'll always think of you.

Anyway this place is local to me: Flynn's Retrocade. I took my son there a few weeks back and we had a blast. All the old games; Asteroids, Pac-Man, Star Wars (the line art one), Tempest, Dig-Dug, Joust and of course, Tron. Glad to see your daughter's enjoying it as much as you are!

User avatar
Herb Roflcopter
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 am

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:27 am

Cousi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 pm
Curse you for getting older Baz!

I call you Baz because that's how I'll always think of you.

Anyway this place is local to me: Flynn's Retrocade. I took my son there a few weeks back and we had a blast. All the old games; Asteroids, Pac-Man, Star Wars (the line art one), Tempest, Dig-Dug, Joust and of course, Tron. Glad to see your daughter's enjoying it as much as you are!

That reminds me, there's a place 10 minutes from my house that just gets bigger each year:
http://www.gallopingghostarcade.com/

It's $20 to get in (it used to be $15) but once you've paid, the games are all free and the ticket is good all day, even if you go home and come back later in the same day.

On an unrelated note, I seldom use the same screen name more than twice, so it was time for another nutty change. :)

User avatar
Cousi
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:04 pm

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Cousi » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:12 pm

:shock: Oh my. 662 games and adding more all the time? If they all work, that's phenomenal.

Regarding screen names, as someone who works in IT and regularly has to know a dozen different logins and associated passwords I tend to stick with the same one in my personal life. Only so much RAM in my head, don'tchaknow. Although with the divorce I've been thinking of changing from Cousi to something else. I'll probably just leave it because I'm lazy.

User avatar
Blackthorn
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Blackthorn » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm

Cousi wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:46 pm
Curse you for getting older Baz!

I call you Baz because that's how I'll always think of you.
Ah, NOW I recognize him! And his sweet daughter who used to beat him up in their photo shoots! Good to see you both again!

Maybe I should change my name, too. I don't think Bazooka Goof is taken.... :mrgreen:
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

User avatar
Herb Roflcopter
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 am

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:38 am

Cousi wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:12 pm
Although with the divorce
I've been out of touch and didn't hear about that- I'm sorry. :o
Blackthorn wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm
Ah, NOW I recognize him! And his sweet daughter who used to beat him up in their photo shoots! Good to see you both again!

Maybe I should change my name, too. I don't think Bazooka Goof is taken.... :mrgreen:
Thanks, Blackthorn! :)

My little girl has grown considerably, here's a nine-year span of pics:
Image

User avatar
Eric Renderking Fisk
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:37 pm

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Eric Renderking Fisk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:19 pm

They grow up too fast!

And some of my greatest memories of the time spent with me and my sons were playing video games!

User avatar
Herb Roflcopter
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:05 am

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Herb Roflcopter » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:43 pm

Eric Renderking Fisk wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:19 pm
They grow up too fast!

And some of my greatest memories of the time spent with me and my sons were playing video games!
Regarding the Atari games, my daughter has played them a few times, but not too much. Kids these days have way more advanced games on their phones! She probably can't believe Daddy got by on 8 bit graphics!!! :lol:

User avatar
Blackthorn
Posts: 45
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:13 pm

Re: The Atari 2600 Thread!

Post by Blackthorn » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Herb Roflcopter wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:38 am
Cousi wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:12 pm
Although with the divorce
I've been out of touch and didn't hear about that- I'm sorry. :o
Blackthorn wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:08 pm
Ah, NOW I recognize him! And his sweet daughter who used to beat him up in their photo shoots! Good to see you both again!

Maybe I should change my name, too. I don't think Bazooka Goof is taken.... :mrgreen:
Thanks, Blackthorn! :)

My little girl has grown considerably, here's a nine-year span of pics:
Image
Oh I love it! Fun pics
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

Post Reply