Random history questions

Anything and everything - The history of all man kind...
Cousi

Random history questions

Post by Cousi » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:52 pm

I have a random history question and since these things pop into my head with some frequency (and finding the answers usually requires translating 'scholar talk' to 'shit I understand') I figured I'd start a thread where those of us that are more historically challenged can ask them hopefully to be answered by those who are less so.

My question is this; I always thought that the VIchy French were basically the 'free French' i.e. the ones that were not considering themselves beholden to the German occupation. Am I wrong in that? Or at least is that an incomplete understanding?

n11pilot

Re: Random history questions

Post by n11pilot » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 pm

Cousi wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:52 pm
I have a random history question and since these things pop into my head with some frequency (and finding the answers usually requires translating 'scholar talk' to 'shit I understand') I figured I'd start a thread where those of us that are more historically challenged can ask them hopefully to be answered by those who are less so.

My question is this; I always thought that the VIchy French were basically the 'free French' i.e. the ones that were not considering themselves beholden to the German occupation. Am I wrong in that? Or at least is that an incomplete understanding?
I like this idea. We need more discussion type threads on here. We also need a brick and mortar club with comfortable chairs, a well stocked bar and a 24/7 gourmet kitchen staffed by a le Cordon Bleu chef but that is for when the lottery futures pay off big time. :lol:

It is my understanding that the term "Free French" applied only to the civilians and military personnel who were aligned with the French government in exile under the leadership of Charles de Gaulle. Charles de Gaulle escaped to England partially through the help of some former members of the old French government after an armistice was concluded by Petain with the NAZIs. De Gaulle helped organize exiled French and some non occupied colonial forces to work with the other Allied powers in fighting the NAZIs. At some point "Free France" was renamed Fighting France to include those forces still in occupied territory also fighting the NAZIs. This name change united the FFF (Free French Forces) and the FFI (French Forces of the Interior or the underground).

I hope this helps answer your question at least in part. I know I must have missed some important points so I hope others with more information will weigh in.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:50 pm
We also need a brick and mortar club with comfortable chairs, a well stocked bar and a 24/7 gourmet kitchen staffed by a le Cordon Bleu chef but that is for when the lottery futures pay off big time. :lol:
We're working on that. :?

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:45 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:58 pm

We're working on that. :?

I know I'm doing my part. I invest in lottery futures twice a week, unfortunately most of the time all I get in exchange for good money is a small square of paper that ultimately makes only for a good bookmark. :)

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm

n11pilot wrote:
I like this idea. We need more discussion type threads on here. We also need a brick and mortar club with comfortable chairs, a well stocked bar and a 24/7 gourmet kitchen staffed by a le Cordon Bleu chef but that is for when the lottery futures pay off big time. :lol:
I agree only insofar as said club can only be reached through a seedy basement entrance manned by a ruffian no less than 6'5" who slides open a small window to receive a password.

Because security.
It is my understanding that the term "Free French" applied only to the civilians and military personnel who were aligned with the French government in exile under the leadership of Charles de Gaulle. Charles de Gaulle escaped to England partially through the help of some former members of the old French government after an armistice was concluded by Petain with the NAZIs. De Gaulle helped organize exiled French and some non occupied colonial forces to work with the other Allied powers in fighting the NAZIs. At some point "Free France" was renamed Fighting France to include those forces still in occupied territory also fighting the NAZIs. This name change united the FFF (Free French Forces) and the FFI (French Forces of the Interior or the underground).

I hope this helps answer your question at least in part. I know I must have missed some important points so I hope others with more information will weigh in.
That does in part, so who were the Vichy French?

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:47 pm

Cousi wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:35 pm
n11pilot wrote:
I agree only insofar as said club can only be reached through a seedy basement entrance manned by a ruffian no less than 6'5" who slides open a small window to receive a password.

Because security.

That does in part, so who were the Vichy French?

Of course! What do you take me for, a dilettante? I have already talked to Seedy Basement Designs Limited and the Rent-A-Thug people. :)

Vichy France was basically a puppet state set up by the NAZIs with Petain as its leader. Vichy comprised roughly 40% of the land and territory of the former republic including North African and other colonies. The name derives from the fact that while Paris was technically the legal capital the government met in Vichy. To better understand this think of the film "Casablanca" that was the NAZI/Vichy relationship in microcosm. It was ostensibly French but the NAZIs, in this example personified by Strasser, pulled the strings.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 am

n11pilot wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:47 pm
Of course! What do you take me for, a dilettante? I have already talked to Seedy Basement Designs Limited and the Rent-A-Thug people. :)
I expect nothing but the best and you deliver every time. :twisted:
n11pilot wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 5:47 pm
Vichy France was basically a puppet state set up by the NAZIs with Petain as its leader. Vichy comprised roughly 40% of the land and territory of the former republic including North African and other colonies. The name derives from the fact that while Paris was technically the legal capital the government met in Vichy. To better understand this think of the film "Casablanca" that was the NAZI/Vichy relationship in microcosm. It was ostensibly French but the NAZIs, in this example personified by Strasser, pulled the strings.
Okay, that's where my confusion came in. The Vichy French were basically Renault & Co whereas the Free French were pretty much everyone in Rick's employ. I am better educated.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:52 pm

Cousi wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:31 am
I expect nothing but the best and you deliver every time. :twisted:
My best is none too good. :lol: