Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything and everything - The history of all man kind...
n11pilot

Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by n11pilot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 9:42 pm

1680 - The Pueblo Indians drove the Spanish out and took possession of Santa Fe, NM. This is known as the Pueblo revolt or Pope's Rebellion.

1831 - Nat Turner, a former slave, led a violent insurrection in Virginia. He was later executed.

1841 - A patent for venetian blinds was issued to John Hampton. It has been reported that the same day MR Hampton was awarded a copyright on four new cuss words when the cords became entangled on his invention. ;)

1945 - U.S. President Truman ended the Lend-Lease program that had shipped about $50 billion in aid to America's Allies during World War II.

1959 - Hawaii became the 50th state. U.S. President Eisenhower also issued the order for the 50 star flag.

1993 - NASA lost contact with the Mars Observer spacecraft. The fate of the spacecraft was unknown. The mission cost $980 million.

Blackthorn

Re: Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Blackthorn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:42 pm

I always loved this feature of yours, Pilot, I'm glad to see it again!
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 am

Today in history is back, baby!

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:32 am

Cousi wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:37 am
Today in history is back, baby!
Blackthorn wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:42 pm
I always loved this feature of yours, Pilot, I'm glad to see it again!
Thank you for your interest, gentlemen! :) But now History! (You couldn't hear it but I wrote that with a really impressive echo effect.)

1485 - The War of the Roses ended with the death of England's King Richard III. He was killed in the Battle of Bosworth Field. His successor was one Henry VII.

1567 - The "Council of Blood" was established by the Duke of Alba. This was the beginning of his reign of terror in the Netherlands. Of course it started a reign of terror. It wasn't the "Council of Cup Cakes".

1775 - The American colonies were proclaimed to be in a state of open rebellion by England's King George III. They tried to take our guns....we shot them.

1846 - The U.S. annexed New Mexico.

1851 - The schooner America outraced the Aurora off the English coast to win a trophy that became known as the America's Cup.

1941 - Nazi troops reached the outskirts of Leningrad during World War II.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:51 am

1839 - Hong Kong was taken by the British in a war with China.

1914 - Tsingtao, China, was bombarded as Japan declared war on Germany in World War I. In truth Japan didn't have much of a dog in this fight but it did see an opportunity to seize land for its resource starved nation.

1939 - Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union signed a non-aggression treaty.

1944 - Marseilles was captured by Allied troops during World War II.

1962 - The first live TV program was relayed between the U.S. and Europe through the U.S. Telstar satellite. I guessing that whatever the program contained it was either a repeat or a remake.

1998 - Protestors in Sudan carried a sign that bore the resemblance of Monica Lewinsky and the words "No War for Monika." The anti-U.S. demonstration was in Khartoum, Sudan.

Please note that on this day in history like every other day quite a bit happened. I only hit what I see as a highlight if anyone finds something that happened on this day that they feel is important please feel free to list it. Thank you.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:25 am

79 - Mount Vesuvius erupted killing approximately 20,000 people. The cities of Pompeii,and Herculaneum were buried in volcanic ash.

1456 - The printing of the Gutenberg Bible was completed.

1869 - A patent for the waffle iron was received by Cornelius Swarthout. This isn't really all that important I suppose but I'm kind of hungry.

1891 - Thomas Edison applied patents for the kinetoscope and kinetograph (U.S. Pats. 493,426 and 589,168). This was the first camera to utilize a moving strip of film and thees patents and others issued to Edison enabled him later to try to monopolize the movie making industry. His company, the Motion Picture Parent Company (MPPC) which existed from 1908 to 1915 was a trust that controlled every aspect of film making.

1949 - The North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) went into effect. The agreement was that an attack against on one of the parties would be considered "an attack against them all."

1990 - Iraqi troops surrounded foreign missions in Kuwait.

2006 - The planet Pluto was reclassified as a "dwarf planet" by the International Astronomical Union (IAU). Pluto's status was changed due to the IAU's new rules for an object qualifying as a planet. There is still no word on Goofy.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:46 am

325 - Council of Nicaea ends with adoption of the Nicene Creed establishing the doctrine of the Holy Trinity.

1540 - Explorer Hernando de Alarcon travels up Colorado River.

1718 - Hundreds of colonists from France arrived in Louisiana. Some settled in present-day New Orleans.

1814 - The U.S. Library of Congress was destroyed by British forces.

1920 - The first airplane to fly from New York to Alaska arrived in Nome.

1941 - Allied forces invaded Iran. Within four days the Soviet Union and England controlled Iran.

1944 - Paris, France, was liberated by Allied forces ending four years of German occupation.

1944 - Romania declared war on Germany. Welcome to the party, pal!

1998 - A survey released said that 1/3 of Americans use the Internet.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:52 pm

(where's the "like" button)
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Blackthorn wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:52 pm

:lol:

Thank God! I thought I was the only one trying to find it. We are the victims of conditioned response, my friend. :)

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:04 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:54 pm
Blackthorn wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:52 pm

:lol:

Thank God! I thought I was the only one trying to find it. We are the victims of conditioned response, my friend. :)
Yes indeed, Pilot. I also didn't want it to appear that no one was reading this thread. :)