Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything and everything - The history of all man kind...
Cousi

Re: Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Cousi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:26 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:49 am
1939 - After 19 days of resistance, Warsaw, Poland, surrendered to the Germans after being invaded by the Nazis and the Soviet Union during World War II. During the NAZI invasion the Polish National Radio broadcast the Polonaise Militaire #1 in A Major by Chopin as a symbol of resistance. When the tune was no longer heard over the air the people of Poland knew that Warsaw had fallen.
That is very cinematic. I can just imagine people listening to their radios as they go about their day then suddenly the music stops. The father and mother exchange looks as the kids ask about the sudden static.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:48 pm

Cousi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:26 pm
That is very cinematic. I can just imagine people listening to their radios as they go about their day then suddenly the music stops. The father and mother exchange looks as the kids ask about the sudden static.

You're right Cousi, that is a scene that should be included in any film of the period. What you've described is very much what I imagined. I also imagined that when the static filled the air, men who were perhaps a little too old or too young for military service retrieving hunting rifles from closets and slipping out of the cities.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Exactly! The mother just lowers her head sadly and starts to gather the children while the father goes to the closet and pulls out his shotgun and checks it. That is just a scene filled with tension.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:17 pm

Before we say anything further I think that it should be pointed out that the preceding scenes are the fully protected property of Cousi-Pilot Books and Films and may not be copied or reproduced without a boatload of money coming our way. :)

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 am

n11pilot wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:17 pm
Before we say anything further I think that it should be pointed out that the preceding scenes are the fully protected property of Cousi-Pilot Books and Films and may not be copied or reproduced without a boatload of money coming our way. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:25 am

Blackthorn wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 am

Don't laugh, my friend. You are the executive in charge of "Copyright" enforcement. It comes with an office, an assistant, and a tire iron. We expect you to be Mafia tough but not Disney tough, I mean we're not barbarians. :)

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:47 am

935 - Saint Wenceslas is murdered by his brother, Boleslaus I of Bohemia. ST Wenceslas was the Duke of Bohemia and ruled with power of a king but unlike many in power at the time was a good and fair ruler. Wenceslas was called the "Good Duke" by his subjects and his murderer and usurper Boleslaus was called the "Cruel Duke". Wenceslas had the last laugh though, I mean who sings a carol at Christmas about Cruel King Boleslaus?

1066 - William the Conqueror invades England landing at Pevensey Bay, Sussex. Unlike the recently deceased and unlamented Tostig and Harald Hardrada, William of Normandy did have a semi legitimate claim on the throne of England.

1542 - San Diego, CA, was discovered by Portuguese navigator Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo.

1687 - The Turks surrendered Athens to the Venetians.

1781 - During the Revolutionary War, American forces began the siege on Yorktown, VA.

1787 - The U.S. Congress voted to send the new Constitution of the United States to the state legislatures for their approval.

1789 - In the U.S., the first Federal Congress passed a resolution that asked President George Washington to recommend to the nation a day of thanksgiving. Several days later Washington issued a proclamation that named Thursday, November 26, 1789 as a "Day of Publick Thanksgivin." The fixed-date for Thanksgiving Day, the fourth Thursday of November, was established on December 26, 1941. No word on pumpkin spice in resolution, proclamation, or act.

1850 - The U.S. Navy abolished flogging as a form of punishment.

1850 - U.S. President Millard Fillmore named Brigham Young the first governor of the Utah territory. In 1857, U.S. President James Buchanan removed Young from the position.

1915 - The British defeated the Turks in Mesopotamia at Kut-el-Amara.

1924 - The first around-the-world flight was completed by two U.S. Army planes when they landed in Seattle, WA. The trip took 175 days. The birds used were specially modified DT bombers suitably named the Douglas World Cruiser. Four cruisers departed on the trip but only two made it all the way.

1967 - The first mayor of Washington, DC, Walter Washington, took office.

1972 - Communist China and Japan agreed to re-establish diplomatic relations.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Fri Sep 28, 2018 2:47 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:25 am
Blackthorn wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:07 am

Don't laugh, my friend. You are the executive in charge of "Copyright" enforcement. It comes with an office, an assistant, and a tire iron. We expect you to be Mafia tough but not Disney tough, I mean we're not barbarians. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol: All over again!
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:05 pm

522 BC - Darius I of Persia kills Magian usurper Gaumâta, securing his hold as king of the Persian Empire.

480 BC - Battle of Salamis: The Greek fleet under Themistocles defeats the Persian fleet under Xerxes I.

1567 - War of Religion breaks out in France - Huguenots try to kidnap King Charles IX.

1789 - A regular army was established by the U.S. War Department with several hundred men. Not to be confused with the Army's birth date of 14 June 1775.

1829 - The first public appearance by London's re-organized police force was met with jeers from political opponents. The force became known as Scotland Yard.

1943 - U.S. Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower and Italian Marchal Pietro Badoglio signed an armistice aboard the British ship Nelson.

1962 - U.S. President John F. Kennedy nationalized the Mississippi National guard in response to city officials defying federal court orders. The orders had been to enroll James Meredith at the University of Mississippi.

1988 - The space shuttle Discovery took off from Cape Canaveral in Florida. It was the first manned space flight since the Challenger disaster.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:40 pm

1399 - Henry Bolingbroke became the King of England as Henry IV.

1520 - Suleiman the Magnificent succeeds his father Selam I as Ottoman Sultan (rules till 1566).

1777 - The Congress of the United States moved to York, PA, due to advancing British forces.

1787 - The Columbia left Boston and began the trip that would make it the first American vessel to sail around the world.

1846 - Anesthetic ether used for 1st time by American dentist DR William Morton who extracts a tooth. When the patient received DR Morton's bill he requested ether a second time. OK, probably not.

1862 - Prussia Minister President Otto von Bismarck's delivers his "Blood & Iron" speech. This speech was about military spending and the unification of Germany and gave little doubt that Bismarck thought that Prussia should be the leading light in a unified country. This speech gave Bismarck the title of "Iron Chancellor".

1882 - In Appleton, WI, the world's first hydroelectric power plant began operating.

1938 - The Munich Conference ended with a decision to appease Adolf Hitler. Britain, and France allowed Czechoslovakia's Sudetenland to be annexed by the Nazis.

1946 - An international military tribunal in Nuremberg, Germany, found 22 top Nazi leaders guilty of war crimes.

1949 - The Berlin Airlift came to an end. The airlift had taken 2.3 million tons of food into the western sector despite the Soviet blockade.

1954 - The U.S. Navy commissioned the Nautilus submarine at Groton, CT. It was the first atomic-powered vessel. The submarine had been launched on January 21, 1954.

1966 - Albert Speer and Baldur von Schirach were released at midnight from Spandau prison after completing their 20-year sentences. Speer was the Nazi minister of armaments and von Schirach was the founder of Hitler Youth.

1983 - The first AH-64 Apache attack helicopter was rolled out by McDonnell Douglas Helicopter Company.