Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything and everything - The history of all man kind...
n11pilot

Re: Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by n11pilot » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:33 am

539 BC - The army of Cyrus the Great of Persia takes Babylon.

1279 - Nichiren, a Japanese Buddhist monk, founder of Nichiren Buddhism, inscribes the Dai-Gohonzon.

1492 - Christopher Columbus, an Italian explorer, sighted Watling Island in the Bahamas. He believed that he had found Asia while attempting to find a Western ocean route to India. The same day he claimed the land for Isabella and Ferdinand of Spain.

1810 - Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig married Princess Therese of Saxony-Hildburghausen. The royalty invited the public to attend the event which became an annual celebration that later became known as Oktoberfest. Now known for huge beer mugs and pretzels the size of bicycles.

1915 - Former U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt criticized U.S. citizens who identified themselves by dual nationalities.

1920 - Construction of the Holland Tunnel began. It opened on November 13, 1927. The tunnel links Jersey City, NJ and New York City, NY.

1933 - The U.S. Department of Justice acquired Alcatraz Island from the U.S. Army.

1942 - During World War II, Attorney General Francis Biddle announced that Italian nationals in the United States would no longer be considered enemy aliens.

1945 - Private First Class Desmond T. Doss was presented with the Congressional Medal of Honor for outstanding bravery as a combat medic. He was the first conscientious objector in American history to win the award.

1964 - The Soviet Union launched Voskhod 1 into orbit around the Earth. It was the first space flight to have a multi-person crew and the first flight to be performed without space suits.

1976 - China announced that Hua Guo-feng was named to succeed the late Mao Tse-Tung as chairman of the Communist Party.

1994 - The Magellan space probe ended its four-year mission to Venus for the purpose of mapping.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:44 pm

54 AD - Nero succeeds Claudius as Roman Emperor.

1307 - French King Philip IV has Grand Master Jacques de Molay and Knights Templar arrested and charged of idolatry and corruption. If I were a suspicious historian I would suggest that this had more to do with Philip IV being bankrupt and the Templars being very rich than any real corruption of idolatry. If I were suspicious. 8-)

1775 - The U.S. Continental Congress ordered the construction of a naval fleet. So, Happy Birthday to the US Navy. Fair winds and following seas.

1792 - The cornerstone of the Executive Mansion was laid in Washington, DC. The building became known as the White House in 1818.

1812 - American forces were defeated at the Battle of Queenstown Heights. The British victory effectively ended an further U.S. invasion of Canada.

1854 - The state of Texas ratified a state constitution.

1884 - Greenwich in London established as the universal time meridian of longitude. It had long been used as such for purposes of maritime navigation by many of the World's countries.

1943 - During World War II, Italy signed an armistice with the Allies and declared war on Germany.

1944 - American troops entered Aachen, Germany, during World War II.

1944 - During World War II, British and Greek advance units landed at Piraeus.

1989 - U.S. President George H.W. Bush called for an overthrow of the Panamanian ruler Manuel Antonio Noriega.

1999 - The U.S. Senate rejected the ratification of the Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty (CTBT).

2010 -Copiapó mining accident in Chile comes to a happy end as all 33 miners arrive at the surface after surviving a record 69 days underground.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:57 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:44 pm
1307 - French King Philip IV has Grand Master Jacques de Molay and Knights Templar arrested and charged of idolatry and corruption. If I were a suspicious historian I would suggest that this had more to do with Philip IV being bankrupt and the Templars being very rich than any real corruption of idolatry. If I were suspicious. 8-)
The story of the Templar Knights has always fascinated me. I know many Masonic Rites claim inheritance from the Templars but if I were someone with the time and resources I would want to really dig into the many myths and legends surrounding Order. What I think likely is that the were survivors that went on to many of the different places, certainly some probably ended up with the Masons but I wonder what other influences they'd had.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Cousi wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:57 pm
The story of the Templar Knights has always fascinated me. I know many Masonic Rites claim inheritance from the Templars but if I were someone with the time and resources I would want to really dig into the many myths and legends surrounding Order. What I think likely is that the were survivors that went on to many of the different places, certainly some probably ended up with the Masons but I wonder what other influences they'd had.
This is an area of interest for me as well. The problem is that there is very little primary source information readily available to the public and what exists in that vacuum of facts are the work of conspiracy theorists. Nothing against the theorists, their work does make for interesting reading. Unfortunately like a lot of theoretical works it only includes facts that agree with the theory and carefully eliminates any that do not so much is lost to the public. Even hardcore researchers fail to give an accurate picture of the fate of the Templars since they tend to concentrate on Templar treasure, or Templar rites, or Templar artifacts. If I had the time I would concentrate my research on the Templar membership itself. Many of the Templars were not only superbly trained fighting men but were well educated as well. That combination is a valuable commodity in the early 14TH Century and they were bound to make their mark in history and those marks would in turn make very good historical breadcrumbs.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:10 pm

1066 - The Battle of Hastings occurred in England. The Norman forces of William the Conqueror defeated King Harold II of England. Earlier I talked about Harold Godwinson's mistakes in fighting the Battle of Hastings which lead to his defeat. Harold and his assembled forces consisting of the Fyrd or partially trained militia and Harold's own Housecarls or small professional army considered to be mainly the king's bodyguard, won the battle of Stanford bridge on 25 SEP. Three days later the Norman's landed in England and Harold raced South to meet them with his now battle depleted force. Harold failed to consider several things; the effect of travel on his depleted force, the fact that many of the Fyrd had started to return home and could not be quickly reached to rejoin Harold; everything the Norman's had was "On the beach" in other words no supply lines to Normandy, no reserve, no support. Most historians agree that if Harold had taken his time to reinforce the Fyrd and rested his troops while traveling sensibly for the time he had a good chance of defeating the Normans.

1322 - Robert the Bruce of Scotland defeats King Edward II of England at Byland, forcing Edward to accept Scotland's independence.

1774 - 1st Continental Congress makes Declaration of Colonial Rights in Philadelphia.

1867 - 15th and last Tokugawa Shogun, Tokugawa Yoshinobu resigns in Japan.

1879 - Thomas Edison signed an agreement with Jose D. Husbands for the sale of Edison telephones in Chile.

1887 - Thomas Edison and George E. Gouraud reached an agreement for the international marketing rights for the phonograph.

1912 - Theodore Roosevelt was shot while campaigning in Milwaukee, WI. Roosevelt's wound in the chest was not serious and he continued with his planned speech. William Schrenk was captured at the scene of the shooting. The bullet hit the President at a location in front of an inside coat pocket and had the good taste to travel through a folded copy of his speech and his metal glasses case before striking the President's chest. The round was mostly spent.

1933 - Nazi Germany announced that it was withdrawing from the League of Nations.

1947 - Over Rogers Dry Lake in Southern California, pilot Chuck Yeager flew the Bell X-1 rocket plane and became the first person to break the sound barrier. Chuck Yeager did this while concealing the fact that he had broken several ribs in a riding accident the night before. They don't make them much like that anymore.

1962 - The Cuban Missile Crisis began. It was on this day that U.S. intelligence personnel analyzing data discovered Soviet medium-range missile sites in Cuba. On October 22 U.S. President John F. Kennedy announced that he had ordered the naval "quarantine" of Cuba.

1964 - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for his non-violent resistance to racial prejudice in America. He was the youngest person to receive the award.

1986 - Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev charged that the U.S. wanted to "bleed the Soviet Union economically" with the arms race in space. He wasn't wrong, in fact President Reagan knew that much of the "Star Wars" would not work as advertised but continued with the program in view of the fact that the Soviets were trying to match us in spending and advancement (Silly Communists), and that the work on "Star Wars" was making leaps in technology that had many other practical uses. In other words Gorbachev was playing chess and President Reagan was playing poker. 8-)

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:31 am

1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte began his exile on the remote island of St. Helena in the Atlantic Ocean.

1860 - Grace Bedell, 11 years old, wrote a letter to presidential candidate Abraham Lincoln. The letter stated that Lincoln would look better if he would grow a beard.

1883 - The U.S. Supreme Court struck down part of the Civil Rights Act of 1875. It allowed for individuals and corporations to discriminate based on race.

1892 - The U.S. government announced that the land in the western Montana was open to settlers. The 1.8 million acres were bought from the Crow Indians for 50 cents per acre.

1939 - New York Municipal Airport was dedicated. The name was later changed to La Guardia Airport.

1945 - Pierre Laval, the former premier of Vichy France, was executed for treason.

1946 - Hermann Goering, a Nazi war criminal and founder of the Gestapo, poisoned himself just hours before his scheduled execution.

1964 - It was announced that Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev had been removed from power. He was replaced with Alexei N. Kosygin.

1983 - U.S. Marines killed five snipers who had pinned them down in Beirut International Airport.

1997 - The Cassini-Huygens mission was launched from Cape Canaveral, FL. On January 14, 2005, a probe sent back pictures of Saturn's moon Titan during and after landing.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 am

1793 - During the French Revolution, Queen Marie Antoinette was beheaded after being convicted of treason.

1813 - Battle of Leipzig, largest battle in Europe prior to WWI, Napoleon's forces defeated by Prussia, Austria and Russia.

1829 - In Boston, MA, the first modern hotel in America opened. The Tremont Hotel had 170 rooms that rented for $2 a day and included four meals. That would be roughly $54.24 in today's money so still not so bad.

1859 - Abolitionist John Brown led a raid on Harper's Ferry, VA (now located in West Virginia).

1869 - A hotel in Boston became the first in the U.S. to install indoor plumbing. Now I understand the reasonable rates in 1829.

1900 - Great Britain and Germany sign the Anglo-German Treaty, agreeing to maintain territorial integrity of China and support 'open door' policy called for by US Secretary of State.

1923 - Walt Disney contracted with M.J. Winkler to distribute the Alice Comedies. This event is recognized as the start of the Disney Company.

1934 - Mao Zedong & 25,000 troops begin 6,000 mile Long March.

1941 - The Nazis advanced to within 60 miles of Moscow. Romanians entered Odessa, USSR, and began exterminating 150,000 Jews.

1962 - Cuban missile crisis warms up as JFK is shown photos confirming the presence of Soviet missiles in Cuba. This IMINT led to increased surveillance of the island.

1964 - China detonated its first atomic bomb becoming the world's fifth nuclear power.

1967 - NATO headquarters opened in Brussels.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:34 am

733 - Battle at Tours (Poitiers): Charles Martel's Frankish and Burgundian forces beat those of al-Andalus under Abdul Rahman Al Ghafiqi halting Islamic expansion into Europe. Note. this exact date is under some dispute.

1739 - Thomas Coram was granted a Royal Charter from George II so a "hospital for the maintenance and education of exposed and deserted young children" in Londond, England.

1777 - American troops defeated British forces in Saratoga, NY. It was the turning point in the American Revolutionary War.

1854 - French and British forces bombard Sevastopol for the first time during the Crimean War.

1888 - The first issue of "National Geographic Magazine" was released at newsstands. This is when the National Geographic Society actually had something to do with exploration and geography.

1907 - Guglielmo Marconi's company begins the first commercial transatlantic wireless service between Glace Bay, Nova Scotia, Canada and Clifden, Ireland.

1931 - Al Capone was convicted on income tax evasion and was sentenced to 11 years in prison. He was released in 1939. Treponema pallidum subspecies pallidum punishing Capone far more that any prison ever could.

1933 - Dr. Albert Einstein moved to Princeton, NJ, after leaving Germany.

1943 Burma railway completed, built by Allied POWs and Asian laborers for use of the Japanese army. This event was the basis for the novel and subsequent film "The Bridge on the River Kwai".

1945 - Colonel Juan Peron became the dictator of Argentina after staging a coup in Buenos Aires.

1973 - The Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) began an oil-embargo against several countries including the U.S. and Great Britain. The incident stemmed from Western support of Israel when Egypt and Syria attacked the nation on October 6, 1973. The embargo lasted until March of 1974.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:04 pm

1009 - The Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem is destroyed by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, who has the Church's foundations razed down to bedrock.

1469 - Ferdinand of Aragon married Isabella of Castile. The marriage united all the dominions of Spain.

1685 - King Louis XIV of France revoked the Edict of Nantes, which had established the legal toleration of the Protestant population.

1767 - The Mason-Dixon line was agreed upon. It was the boundary between Maryland and Pennsylvania.

1860 - British troops burned the Yuanmingyuan Palace at the end of the Second Opium War.

1867 - The U.S. took formal possession of Alaska from Russia. The land was purchased of a total of $7 million dollars (2 cents per acre).

1892 - The first long-distance telephone line between Chicago, IL, and New York City, NY, was opened.

1944 - Czechoslovakia was invaded by the Soviets during World War II.

1970 - Quebec's minister of labor was found strangled to death after eight days of being held captive by the Quebec Liberation Front (FLQ).

1989 - Egon Krenz became the leader of East Germany after Erich Honecker was ousted. Honeker had been in power for 18 years.

1997 - A monument honoring U.S. servicewomen, past and present, was dedicated at Arlington National Cemetery.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:35 am

202 BC - Battle of Zama: Hannibal Barca and the Carthaginian army are defeated by Roman legions under Scipio Africanus, ending 2nd Punic War.

1765 - In Colonial America, The Stamp Act Congress met and drew up a declaration of rights and liberties. Not to be confused with the later 1774 Continental Congress' Declaration of Colonial Rights. However it should be noted that both declarations had the same effect on George III that adults talking on "Peanuts" cartoons have on Charlie Brown.

1781 - British forces under General Charles Cornwallis sign terms of surrender to George Washington and Comte de Rochambeau at Yorktown at 2 pm. This went a long way toward clearing things up for George III.

1814 - In Baltimore, MD, the first documented performance of "The Defence of Fort McHenry" with music took place at the Holliday Street Theatre. The work was later published under the title "The Star-Spangled Banner."

1914 - In the U.S., government owned vehicles were first used to pick up mail in Washington, DC.

1926 - Russian Politburo throws out Leon Trotsky and his followers.

1943 - Streptomycin, the first antibiotic remedy for tuberculosis, is isolated by researchers at Rutgers University.

1960 - The United States imposed an embargo on exports to Cuba covering all commodities except medical supplies and certain food products.

1987 - The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 508 points. It was the worst one-day percentage decline, 22.6%, in history.