Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything and everything - The history of all man kind...
n11pilot

Re: Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by n11pilot » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 am

History for 8 August.

1509 - Emperor Krishnadeva Raya is crowned, marking the beginning of the regeneration of the Vijayanagara Empire in Southern India. Yes, these names will be on the test and spelling counts.

1356 - Edward "the Black Prince" began a raid north from Aquitaine.

1786 - US Congress unanimously chooses the dollar as the money unit for the United States.

1815 - Napoleon Bonaparte set sail for St. Helena, in the South Atlantic. The remainder of his life was spent there in exile.

1844 - After the killing of Joseph Smith on June 27, Bringham Young was chosen to lead the Mormons.

1876 - Thomas Edison received a patent for the mimeograph. The mimeograph was a "method of preparing autographic stencils for printing."

1911 - The number of representatives in the U.S. House of Representatives was established at 435. There was one member of Congress for every 211,877 residents.

1940 - The German Luftwaffe began a series of daylight air raids on Great Britain.

1945 - The United Nations Charter was signed by U.S. President Truman.

1945 - During World War II, the Soviet Union declared war on Japan. This move was essentially a Soviet land grab in the East and was of little use in defeating Imperial Japan.

1953 - The U.S. and South Korea initiated a mutual security pact.

1974 - U.S. President Nixon announced that he would resign the following day.

1978 - The U.S. launched Pioneer Venus II, which carried scientific probes to study the atmosphere of Venus.

1989 - The space shuttle Columbia took off from Cape Canaveral, FL. The trip was said to be a secret five-day military mission.

1991 - John McCarthy, a British TV producer, was released by his Lebanese kidnappers. He had been held captive for more than five years. A rival group abducted Jerome Leyraud in retaliation and threatened to kill him if any more hostages were released.

1994 - Representatives from China and Taiwan signed a cooperation agreement.

2000 - The submarine H.L. Hunley was raised from ocean bottom after 136 years. The sub had been lost during an attack on the U.S.S. Housatonic in 1864. The Hunley was the first submarine in history to sink a warship.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:35 am

History for 9 August.

48 BC - Battle of Pharsalus - Julius Caesar decisively defeats Pompey at Pharsalus and Pompey flees to Egypt.

378 - Battle of Adrianople - Goth army defeats Roman forces under Emperor Valens. This battle, which was a decisive victory for the Goths, is considered by many historians to be the start of the process that led to the decline of the Roman Empire in the 5TH Century.

1790 - The Columbia returned to Boston Harbor after a three-year voyage. It was the first ship to carry the American flag around the world.

1842 - The U.S. and Canada signed the Webster-Ashburton Treaty, which solved a border dispute.

1854 - "Walden" was published by Henry David Thoreau.

1892 - Thomas Edison received a patent for a two-way telegraph.

1898 - Rudolf Diesel of Germany obtains patent #608,845 for his internal combustion engine, later known as the diesel engine.

1910 - A.J. Fisher received a patent for the electric washing machine.

1936 - Jesse Owens won his fourth gold medal at the Berlin Olympics. He was the first American to win four medals in one Olympics.

1942 - Mohandas K. Gandhi was arrested Britain. He was not released until 1944.

1944 - The Forest Service and Wartime Advertising Council created "Smokey the Bear."

1945 - The U.S. dropped an atomic bomb on Nagasaki. The bombing came three days after the bombing of Hiroshima. Japan surrendered August 14.

1965 - Singapore proclaimed its independence from the Malaysian Federation.

1973 - The U.S. Senate committee investigating the Watergate affair filed suit against President Richard Nixon.

1974 - U.S. PresidentRichard Nixon formally resigned. Gerald R. Ford took his place, and became the 38th president of the U.S.

1985 - Arthur J. Walker, a retired Navy officer, was found guilty of seven counts of spying for the Soviet Union.

1996 - Boris Yeltsin was sworn in as president of Russia for the second time.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 pm

Last week I thought the bold on top was because you were on vacation or something. Then I realized you started doing it much earlier. Now I feel unobservant.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:21 am

Cousi wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:46 pm
Last week I thought the bold on top was because you were on vacation or something. Then I realized you started doing it much earlier. Now I feel unobservant.
I usually tried to post these on the morning of the date but I have a work commitment that makes that difficult occasionally so I try to post the evening before. Sorry I threw you. Thanks for viewing these. :)

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:33 am

History for 10 August.

612 BC - The killing of Sinsharishkun, King of Assyrian Empire occurred.

1497 - John Cabot tells King Henry VII of his trip to "Asia". (Please read the following in Morgan Freeman's voice.) The exact landing place of Cabot the previous June was likely on the East coast of either present day Canada or the US but it was most certainly not Asia.

1675 - King Charles II and John Flamsteed lay the foundation stone of the Royal Observatory in Greenwich, England.

1792 - King Louis XVI was taken into custody by mobs during the French Revolution. He was executed the following January after being put on trial for treason.

1821 - Missouri became the 24th state to join the Union.

1846 - The Smithsonian Institution was chartered by the U.S. Congress. The "Nation's Attic" was made possible by $500,000 given by scientist Joseph Smithson.

1869 - The motion picture projector was patented by O.B. Brown.

1885 - The first electric streetcar, to be used commercially, was operated in Baltimore, MD, by Leo Daft.

1914 - Austria-Hungary invaded Russia.

1927 - Mount Rushmore was formally dedicated. The individual faces of the presidents were dedicated later.

1944 - U.S. forces defeated the remaining Japanese resistance on Guam.

1945 - The day after the atomic bombing of Nagasaki, Japan announced they would surrender. The only condition was that the status of Emperor Hirohito would remain unchanged.

1947 - William Odom completed an around-the-world flight. He set the solo record by completing the flight in 73 hours and 5 minutes.

1949 - In the U.S., the National Military Establishment had its name changed from the War Department to the Department of Defense.

1954 - Construction began on the St. Lawrence Seaway.

1988 - U.S. President Reagan signed a measure that provided $20,000 payments to Japanese-Americans who were interned by the U.S. government during World War II.

1994 - U.S. President Clinton claimed presidential immunity when he asked a federal judge to dismiss, at least for the time being, a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by Paula Corbin Jones.

1999 - Near an India-Pakistan border area an Indian fighter jet shot down a Pakistani naval aircraft. Sixteen people were killed.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:03 am

History for 11 August.

3114 BC - The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used by several pre-Columbian Mesoamerican civilizations, notably the Mayans, begins. This is a non repeating base 20 calendar.

1860 - The first successful silver mill in America began operations. The mill was in Virginia City, NV.

1877 - The two moons of Mars were discovered by Asaph Hall, an American astronomer. He named them Phobos and Deimos.

1896 - Harvey Hubbell received a patent for the electric light bulb socket with a pull-chain.

1909 - The American ship Arapahoe became the first to ever use the SOS distress signal off the coast of Cape Hatteras, NC.

1934 - Alcatraz, in San Francisco Bay, received federal prisoners for the first time.

1941 - The Atlantic Charter was signed by U.S. President Franklin Roosevelt and British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.

1942 - During World War II, Pierre Laval publicly announced "the hour of liberation for France is the hour when Germany wins the war." This among other things earned him a spot as goalie for a firing squad in 1945.

1945 - The Allies informed Japan that they would determine Emperor Hirohito's future status after Japan's surrender.

1954 - Seven years of fighting came to an end in Indochina. A formal peace was in place for the French and the Communist Vietminh.

1962 - Andrian Nikolayev, of the Soviet Union, was launched on a 94-hour flight. He was the third Russian to go into space.

1965 - The U.S. conducted a second launch of "Surveyor-SD 2" for a landing on the Moon surface test.

1990 - Egyptian and Moroccan troops joined U.S. forces in Saudia Arabia to help protect from a possible Iraqi attack.

1995 - All U.S. nuclear tests were banned by President Clinton.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:49 am

History for 12 August.

1121 - Battle of Didgori occurred. The Georgian army under King David the Builder wins a decisive victory over the famous Seljuk commander Ilghazi.

1480 - Aftermath of the Battle of Otranto, Ottoman troops behead 800 Christians for refusing to convert to Islam.

1676 - "King Phillip's War" came to an end with the killing of Indian chief King Phillip. The war between the Indians and the Europeans lasted for two years. Also know as "Metacom's War". This was the last attempt by the Native Americans to drive the English settlers from what is now New England.

1851 - Isaac Singer was issued a patent on the double-headed sewing machine.

1865 - Disinfectant was used for the first time during surgery by Joseph Lister. This would have come in very handy during the previous four years.

1867 - U.S. President Andrew Johnson sparked a move to impeach him when he defied Congress by suspending Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton.

1877 - Thomas Edison invented the phonograph and made the first sound recording.

1898 - The Spanish-American War was ended with the signing of the peace protocol. The U.S. acquired Guam, Puerto Rico and the Philippines. Hawaii was also annexed.

1918 - Regular airmail service began between Washington, DC, and New York City.

1953 - The Soviet Union secretly tested its first hydrogen bomb.

1960 - The balloon satellite Echo One was launched by the U.S. from Cape Canaveral, FL. It was the first communications satellite.

1962 - The Soviet Union launched Pavel Popovich into orbit. Popovich and Andrian Nikolayev, who was launch a day before, both landed on August 15.

1977 - The space shuttle Enterprise passed its first solo flight test.

1981 - IBM unveiled its first PC.

1992 - The U.S., Canada, and Mexico announced that the North American Free Trade Agreement had been created after 14 months of negotiations.

1998 - Swiss banks agreed to pay $1.25 billion as restitution to World War II Holocaust victims.

2000 - The Russian nuclear submarine Kursk sank and its 118-man crew died during naval exercises in the Barents Sea.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm

3114 BC - The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used by several pre-Columbian Mesoamerican civilizations, notably the Mayans, begins. This is a non repeating base 20 calendar.
I thought both Long and Short Count calendars were repeating?

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:38 am

Cousi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm
I thought both Long and Short Count calendars were repeating?

If I'm not mistaken the Long Count Calendar went until 20 December 2012 which would have been about 5,125 from origin. The term 13 Baktuns sticks in my mind. I hope I spelled that correctly, my computer disagrees. I honestly don't know what happens after that date, perhaps a new cycle is started. I will have to do some research and get back to with with a definitive answer.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:44 am

History for 13 August.

1521 - Present day Mexico City was captured by Spanish conqueror Hernando Cortez from the Aztec Indians.

1536 - Buddhist monks from Kyōto's Enryaku Temple set fire to 21 Nichiren temples throughout Kyoto in the Tenbun Hokke Disturbance. (Traditional Japanese date: July 27, 1536).

1642 - Dutch astronomer Christiaan Huygens discovers Martian south polar cap.

1704 - The Battle of Blenheim was fought during the War of the Spanish Succession, resulting in a victory for English and Austrian forces.

1788 - Prussia joins Anglo-Dutch alliance to form Triple Alliance to prevent spread of Russo-Swedish War of 1788-90.

1792 - French revolutionaries took the entire French royal family and imprisoned them.

1846 - The American Flag was raised for the first time in Los Angeles, CA.

1876 - The Reciprocity Treaty between the U.S. and Hawaii was ratified.

1889 - A patent for a coin-operated telephone was issued to William Gray.

1931 - The first community hospital in the U.S. was dedicated in Elk City, OK.

1932 - Adolf Hitler refused to take the post of vice-chancellor of Germany. He said he was going to hold out "for all or nothing."

1942 - Walt Disney's "Bambi" opened at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, NY.

1961 - Berlin was divided by a barbed wire fence to halt the flight of refugees. Two days later work on the Berlin Wall began.

1990 - Iraq transferred $3-4 billion in bullion, currency, and other goods seized from Kuwait to Baghdad.