Kavenaugh brings out the worst in people.

Anything Goes, No holds barred. Just brace yourselves - this can be a pretty rough room! There are no safety nets.
Eric Renderking Fisk

Kavenaugh brings out the worst in people.

Post by Eric Renderking Fisk » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:10 pm

I posted this on Facebook yesterday and before I quit for the day...
I'll post this here and quit Facebook for the day because I have better things to do.

Someone who I loved and respected reposted a meme about how awful some of us are for having mere questions about what Christine Blasey-Ford claims. You're supposed to believe her for the mere fact that she's claiming to be a victim. You should always believe the victim. Always.

I believe her, provisionally and with some reservations. I believe there should be a more in-depth investigation into her story and his.

This meme she reposted really hurt. Because she was around back then in my own life. When I spoke out about my abuse and my abuser. This is what's going on at home, this is what's happening to me...

AND I WAS SLAPPED IN THE FACE AND CALLED A LIAR!

I was called a liar and punished by some of her own peers. And then the abuse at home got worse because what happens at home stays at home. You don't share family secrets.

And I acted out. I acted up, I did things that I'm ashamed of while trying to cope and while genuine evil was being normalized. What's good and bad are relative things, the truth is malleable.

If you report uncomfortable facts to people that shatter their perceptions, they call you a liar. They called me a liar.

Oh, NOW you're supposed to believe the victim. NOW you're supposed to support the assault victim and shame those who try to silence the victim. Oh, now we understand that trauma does weird things to memory and recall.

I have been reading posts by other abuse victims. Some of us have been talking. The conclusion we've come to is how shockingly hypocritical some people are and how sad the excuses are... "Oh, you should have said something more! Oh, it was a different time back then."

How about this, it's easy to vilify the bad guy via the filter of social media, but it's harder to do it when the child abuser is within your circle of friends. It's easy to post your memes and your hashtags and your "I stand with her" posts but it's something else to throw your body upon the gears of the mechanism of systematic abuse.

Or maybe I should cut you some slack because you do all these things now because you're guilty and ashamed of what you didn't do back then? I know. It's hard and it's scary. Speaking out against the evil that's in your face is terrifying.

We abuse survivors know how hard it is to speak out against that kind of terror.

Let this be a lesson to you. The next time you know of something horrible happening, do something. Actually, do SOMETHING positive.
Politics is bringing out the worst in people, and the debate over Justice Kavanaugh is just the latest example.

Here's the issue - I don't know who or what to believe. I just don't. I wasn't there, obviously.

Something horrible happened to Christine Blazie Ford, I just don't know if she has the right guy. I just don't. I also think she was exploited by Diane Feinstine.

And Brett Kavanaugh reminds me of every angry, active, functioning alcoholic I've ever known. Sad to say, his temper reminds me of my dads. I don't think he should be a Supreme Court Justice. President Trump should have pulled his name and nominated someone else.

BUT I'M WILLING TO ADMIT I'M WRONG. I'm not going to put my foot down and demand that you believe me or side with me. I could be wrong.

But I think it's amazing how people are unfriending people over this, when nobody will remember this in a couple of weeks because they can't remember any of the Supreme Court Justices without using Google. I really don't believe everyone cares as much as they all say they do.

Cousi

Re: Kavenaugh brings out the worst in people.

Post by Cousi » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:52 pm

Eric Renderking Fisk wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:10 pm
But I think it's amazing how people are unfriending people over this, when nobody will remember this in a couple of weeks because they can't remember any of the Supreme Court Justices without using Google. I really don't believe everyone cares as much as they all say they do.
Emphasis added. I really think that's the crux of what annoys me. This is just the latest cause celebre to distract us from things that really matter. I honestly think the media is running away with this while hoping the Democrats will push through some "common sense" gun control legislation.

The truth is that both parties have done the same thing the other is currently doing. Republicans have tried to do everything they can to block a President's nominee. The Democrats have put forth someone they know the other side won't like to push their own agenda on the Court.

Once again if we could somehow break the strangle hold of the two party system, we as a nation would be much better off.