Bombs sent to Democratic leaders

Anything Goes, No holds barred. Just brace yourselves - this can be a pretty rough room! There are no safety nets.
Cousi

Bombs sent to Democratic leaders

Post by Cousi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:02 pm

Yeah, I know some were sent to folks in the Media but the title of the topic remains accurate.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/25/politics ... index.html
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/packag ... on-ongoing

I'm not sure why anyone's surprised. This is the logical next step in the ramp-up we've seen in what passes for political discourse. First it was the protests, then it was antifa, then people screaming at politicians trying to eat, then people boycotting restaurants for doing their jobs. The shooting last year is a lead-up to this as well. I love that Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi want Trump to walk back things he's said about the media being 'enemies of the people' but they won't say a single bad thing about antifa. Yet more political posturing.

There are some folks on the right that are saying this was a 'false flag' operation and that Democrats did this and that the bombs are not really dangerous at all. Things that bother me about that:
  • I don't immediately think that's BS
  • I can see them doing that, given their behavior and the response from the public
  • Far too many people are just agreeing with it
I will admit that the timing is suspicious; they've just failed to eliminate a Supreme Court nominee, their massive lead in the polls running up to the mid-terms is collapsing, their rhetoric has become so vitriolic that moderates are starting to seriously ask them "other than hating Trump, why should I vote for you". That is really the only reason I should be entertaining the thought. I should be immediately discarding it because nobody in the DNC is that desperate. They would never stoop to such a thing.

Their behavior though, that's why I'm entertaining it. They think antifa is fine. They defend them. When presented with evidence of antifa being violent they dismiss it out of hand without ever considering it. The only Democrat to denounce antifa or their methods is Nancy Pelosi and that was over a year ago. Her side condemned her for it and she hasn't said word one since.

I should be ashamed for even entertaining the idea. As Ben Shapiro tweeted: "If your first reaction to some evil person sending bombs to a variety of politicians on one side of the aisle is "FALSE FLAG," you are officially deranged." I agree with that. I really do. I believe in my heart of hearts that it is probably some bastard on the fringe far right.

But for a moment, just a moment, I entertained the false flag thing. I can see how logically that might be the case. I reserve my ultimate opinion until after the investigation, but it bothers me that the thought wasn't dismissed out of hand.

Am I alone in that?

Is it because I know that this evil bastard will be painted as a 'typical Trump supporter' in the media and I'm just getting ahead of it?

n11pilot

Re: Bombs sent to Democratic leaders

Post by n11pilot » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 am

Cousi wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:02 pm
But for a moment, just a moment, I entertained the false flag thing. I can see how logically that might be the case. I reserve my ultimate opinion until after the investigation, but it bothers me that the thought wasn't dismissed out of hand.

You are more or less where I am on this. I am reserving my comments until we know much more than we do right now. I am however suspicious of the timing, the laundry list of targets and the fact that the packaging looks like it came from a US Army manual on how to recognize mail IEDs. Too much postage, misspelled words/names/titles on the label, excessive wrapping/waterproofing, etc. The only thing missing is a red post-it note with the word "Danger" on it. But still just a suspicion and nothing concrete so I will wait.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:06 am

n11pilot wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:38 am
I am however suspicious of the timing, the laundry list of targets and the fact that the packaging looks like it came from a US Army manual on how to recognize mail IEDs. Too much postage, misspelled words/names/titles on the label, excessive wrapping/waterproofing, etc. The only thing missing is a red post-it note with the word "Danger" on it. But still just a suspicion and nothing concrete so I will wait.
That really bothers me. This has to be the least competent bomber we've ever seen. That's part of the evidence that leans toward a false flag op for me.

Now understand when I say "false flag" that could mean a Democratic operative or one of a foreign power. The more I think about it, the more I think this is probably a foreign power if it is a false flag operation.

What bothers me more is the reaction. Trump has said we need to dial back the rhetoric and I agree even if I think its hypocritical coming from him. People - not talking heads but people I personally know - are blaming Trump without even glancing at what their own side has been doing. Trump's an ass. Has been for decades. This should not surprise anyone. If Trump freaking Donald Trump knows things need to get dialed back and you're not on board with it, then you are the problem. Not part of the problem, but you are the problem.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:18 am

The problem with this story is simple: we don't have enough information, and the information we have doesn't make sense.

My first impression - and the one I'm sticking with until convinced otherwise - is the false flag. The timing is suspect. The intended recipients are suspect. The means through which updates and news stories are making it to the public are highly suspect.

This seems more like somebody filed the serial numbers off a crappy idea and tried to hang it on somebody else. Leftist tactic, right-wing return address.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:58 pm

Seriously, this is a tailor-made "story" the week before a mid-term election that polls are showing is shaping up to be really bad for the Democrats. The most incompetent bomber in history sends 'bombs' to Democrat offices that hits every single earmark of a suspicious package and they find him in a 'pedo-van' with Trump stickers covering the windows. The more I learn the more I think this is a bullshit story specifically intended to activate the Democratic base.

I absolutely hate that I'm thinking this. I really do. It bothers me to no end.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:12 am

Cousi wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:58 pm
Seriously, this is a tailor-made "story" the week before a mid-term election that polls are showing is shaping up to be really bad for the Democrats. The most incompetent bomber in history sends 'bombs' to Democrat offices that hits every single earmark of a suspicious package and they find him in a 'pedo-van' with Trump stickers covering the windows. The more I learn the more I think this is a bullshit story specifically intended to activate the Democratic base.

I absolutely hate that I'm thinking this. I really do. It bothers me to no end.
Since there are so many questions left that hopefully will be answered in time I think that no idea should be discarded until we have all of those answers.