Gobekli Tepe

Who occupied our world before this current civilization?
Eric Renderking Fisk

Gobekli Tepe

Post by Eric Renderking Fisk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Cousi

Re: Gobekli Tepe

Post by Cousi » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:49 pm

Gobekli Tepe is a fascinating site. If I remember correctly, it's something of a hot-button issue in anthropological archaeology circles. Some people flat-out doubt the dating while others seem to think this could re-write our understanding of history. Personally, I like the idea that mankind is far older than we'd previously thought. I like the thought of the Earth having held previous advanced civilizations. There is far more we don't understand than we do.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Government isn't the only thing ruined by politics it also plays a hand in Archaeology and Anthropology. Researchers of both disciplines usually depend on university or governmental grants to conduct their work and they had better not find too much that is away from the agenda of their paymasters. Sites such as Gobekli Tepe and its secrets will for the foreseeable future be held captive to agenda.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 pm

It was my dream to get there, but I've retired from adventure travel now, except for traveling around the US. It's a fantastic place, from all I've read.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 pm

Blackthorn wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 pm
It was my dream to get there, but I've retired from adventure travel now, except for traveling around the US. It's a fantastic place, from all I've read.
Welcome aboard, my friend!

I suspect that your retirement from adventure could be put on hiatus if the travel bug bites you hard enough. :)

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:22 pm
Blackthorn wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:32 pm
Welcome aboard, my friend!

I suspect that your retirement from adventure could be put on hiatus if the travel bug bites you hard enough. :)
Thank you, my friend! It's fun to see this back up and running again.

And if I were to get the chance again, I might indeed un-retire. :) My wife always wanted me to travel the US with her and I always told her I wanted to wait until one of two things happened: either I'd get too old for those long trips overseas, or if it got too dangerous to visit those Third World countries. Now both are on the horizon, so if all goes as planned I'll be seeing great places here in the old US of A. Which is dangerous enough as it is....

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am

Blackthorn wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 pm
And if I were to get the chance again, I might indeed un-retire. :) My wife always wanted me to travel the US with her and I always told her I wanted to wait until one of two things happened: either I'd get too old for those long trips overseas, or if it got too dangerous to visit those Third World countries. Now both are on the horizon, so if all goes as planned I'll be seeing great places here in the old US of A. Which is dangerous enough as it is....
You are quite correct about domestic danger while traveling.

You wife has to understand that you are an adventurer and an adventurer has to do what an adventurer has to do. You know, with her permission of course. You're an adventurer, not suicidal. :)

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:11 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:37 am
Blackthorn wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:40 pm
You are quite correct about domestic danger while traveling.

You wife has to understand that you are an adventurer and an adventurer has to do what an adventurer has to do. You know, with her permission of course. You're an adventurer, not suicidal. :)
Yes, there's that. :mrgreen:
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

The Oracle

Post by The Oracle » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 pm

Blackthorn,

I always loved reading about your adventures. Adventure travel has always been something I wanted to do, but I could never afford. You have been my eyes to so much of the world I have not gotten to see. Alas, as I have gotten older I am closer to being financially able, but as you said much of the world has gotten unfriendly and it is not likely my wife will want to go, but as the kids have gotten a little older some destinations are now within reach.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:59 pm

The Oracle wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:33 pm
Blackthorn,

I always loved reading about your adventures. Adventure travel has always been something I wanted to do, but I could never afford. You have been my eyes to so much of the world I have not gotten to see. Alas, as I have gotten older I am closer to being financially able, but as you said much of the world has gotten unfriendly and it is not likely my wife will want to go, but as the kids have gotten a little older some destinations are now within reach.
Thank you, Oracle, much appreciated. Once your kids are older, there may still be some fun places to see. I think Cambodia and Vietnam are still tourist friendly. I think Scotland is, too. I've never been there but would like to see it before too long. I'm leery of going to London any more, due to the heavy Muslim influence. I think I've pushed my luck in Muslim countries and will most likely avoid them from now on.
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein