I Saw This New Firearm!

Like we said! Guns, Ammunition and Explosives!
Blackthorn

Re: I Saw This New Firearm!

Post by Blackthorn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:25 pm

(where's the LIKE button?)
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:26 am

So far as I see it, Colt made two critical missteps.

First, they pretty well threw the civil market the bird on account of their military contracts for the M16 and M4 family. Commercial sales were the icing on a rich government cake. An incidental effect was that management nuked some of their flagship offerings and cut the custom shop down to a shadow of its former self. Then along comes FN Herstal and the golden era of Uncle Sugar's easy handouts is gone.

Second, they pared the catalog down to three basic designs - the Government Model, the Single Action Army, the AR-15. Trouble is...the Italians ate their cake on cowboy guns, starting around twenty years ago everybody and their brother took a piece of the the 1911 market, and in the past decade everybody and their brother and their cousin and their dog started building AR-pattern rifles.

There's a few still out there who'll pay a premium for four letters and the magic pony. Not near as many as there used to be, though. And not near enough to float that bloat.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:54 pm

Blackthorn wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:25 pm
(where's the LIKE button?)

LOL! I keep looking for it too. Thank you, my friend. :)

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:56 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:26 am
So far as I see it, Colt made two critical missteps.

There's a few still out there who'll pay a premium for four letters and the magic pony. Not near as many as there used to be, though. And not near enough to float that bloat.

Dillo, I fully agree with your points. In my opinion Colt has to get new management and rethink it business model and culture or lose whatever small fragment of the firearms market it now holds.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 pm

They really need to bring back the seven serpents. But not just bring them back; update them. Put them out there as the highest quality wheel guns in the modern market. That'll get their name back on the boards.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:19 am

Cousi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 pm
They really need to bring back the seven serpents. But not just bring them back; update them. Put them out there as the highest quality wheel guns in the modern market. That'll get their name back on the boards.
I would agree, which means this won't happen.

As we've seen entirely too often in the firearms industry of late, aside any bullshit smokescreen of being 'sportsmen', any organization large enough is essentially run by corporate raiders. Too much fat at the top, too little muscle everywhere else, and too bad so sad if it wrecks a century-plus of tradition and solid brands.

Unfortunately, the sort of people who understand how to gut a company for fun and profit very seldom understand why the product was sought after in the first place. See the trainwreck circumstance of Colt's last attempt at a new wheelgun....

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:49 am

Cousi wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:26 pm
Like friend Dillo I agree with this and also like Dillo I know that Colt under its current management and direction would screw it up royally if it tried.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:03 pm

That is so disappointing. :cry: I used to like Colt quite a bit.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 pm

It's not just Colt. Colt isn't what it used to be, but from a quality standpoint you couldn't give me a new Smith & Wesson, so far as I'm concerned those rifles coming out of Japan will never be Winchesters, and current-run Savage is half a cut above HiPoint.

Not liking new guns is one of the few things keeping me financially solvent.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:45 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:53 pm
It's not just Colt. Colt isn't what it used to be, but from a quality standpoint you couldn't give me a new Smith & Wesson, so far as I'm concerned those rifles coming out of Japan will never be Winchesters, and current-run Savage is half a cut above HiPoint.

Not liking new guns is one of the few things keeping me financially solvent.
I mostly agree with this. I am very happy with both my S&W Shield and my M+P-15T but generally speaking you are right on the mark.