I Saw This New Firearm!

Like we said! Guns, Ammunition and Explosives!
Cousi

Re: I Saw This New Firearm!

Post by Cousi » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm

A friend of mine happens to be a VP at Smith & Wesson. She's said that increasing quality is something they're struggling with because their reputation has been damaged by the shit they produced in the late 70s - early 90s. The manufacturing process and regulations have changed a lot and frequently since the turn of the century, which doesn't help any.

Blackthorn

Post by Blackthorn » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:03 pm

Cousi wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:30 pm
A friend of mine happens to be a VP at Smith & Wesson. She's said that increasing quality is something they're struggling with because their reputation has been damaged by the shit they produced in the late 70s - early 90s.
Yeah, I got several of their lemons back then
The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything….Albert Einstein

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

Missed a point when I was typing that out. My issue with S&W is primarily their new revolvers. Never had any trouble with their polymer autos. Really haven't had much trouble with their early wondernines, for that matter.

Weirdly, I think Ruger may be bucking the trend. Their steel offerings strike me as being on par or better than some of their older models, and they're patently unafraid to jump on new markets. Though they to have frequent recalls I don't recall too many being related to safety concerns. Mossberg is in a similar boat; I recall reading a few years back that their Winchester 94 knockoff actually tested better than the current Winchester offering in some cases. Their MVP lineup isn't bad, either.

I do know for a fact that if you'd told me in 2000 that Ruger was going to build AR-15s and 1911s and Mossberg was going to build tactical bolt rifles and leverguns I'd probably have called for the white-coated men with the butterfly nets.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

I do know for a fact that if you'd told me in 2000 that Ruger was going to build AR-15s and 1911s and Mossberg was going to build tactical bolt rifles and leverguns I'd probably have called for the white-coated men with the butterfly nets.

What a time to be alive! I think I think Mossberg, Ruger, and to a degree Henry are filling the void that the big gun names of the past are creating through inferior quality and terrible price point.

Cousi

Post by Cousi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:53 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:13 pm
AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:47 pm

What a time to be alive! I think I think Mossberg, Ruger, and to a degree Henry are filling the void that the big gun names of the past are creating through inferior quality and terrible price point.
I am perfectly willing to reinforce this trend by rewarding Mossberg, Ruger and Henry with my hard-earned money.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 pm

"Say, why's everybody driving these Japanese cars all of a sudden?"

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:50 am

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:38 pm
"Say, why's everybody driving these Japanese cars all of a sudden?"
Precisely! It took the US auto industry a long time to learn the exact same lesson that old name firearms makers are now resisting.

In an unrelated matter I have just realized that I occasionally write with a stutter. :)

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:20 pm

I had a chance to shoot the Springfield Armory 911 pistol and do a small amateurish test of its capabilities. I will post a short evaluation later when I get all of my notes together. Spoiler alert; I am kind of impressed with this tiny .380.

AeroDillo MkII

Post by AeroDillo MkII » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 am

It's not certain yet, but the Grand South Dakota adventure is showing a certain promise - which is fortunate, because the way things are shaping up locally we may come to a bloodletting at the current workplace before too long.

I should know more in the next couple of weeks.

n11pilot

Post by n11pilot » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:43 pm

AeroDillo MkII wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:32 am
It's not certain yet, but the Grand South Dakota adventure is showing a certain promise - which is fortunate, because the way things are shaping up locally we may come to a bloodletting at the current workplace before too long.

I should know more in the next couple of weeks.
Good luck to you, my friend. Fingers crossed.