Columbo on Hallmark

From broadcast television to streaming services...
The Oracle

Columbo on Hallmark

Post by The Oracle » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:58 pm

So, the Hallmark Channel runs episodes of Columbo. There are a few things interesting to me with this show. First, it takes 1 1/2 Hours for a show that was one hour at the time it was new.

Now about the show. When I was a kid I can’t say that I liked it. I was a kid and it didn’t have enough action. But today I find Peter Faulk’s Lt Columbo a rather fun character. Seemingly clumsy and half witted but deliberate in every action.

The show itself, I believe was innovative and I don’t think the format has been repeated. The audience knows who the killer is. Starting with this premise, and watching it unfold makes you see the genius in the Columbo character.

n11pilot

Re: Columbo on Hallmark

Post by n11pilot » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:17 pm

"So, the Hallmark Channel runs episodes of Columbo. There are a few things interesting to me with this show. First, it takes 1 1/2 Hours for a show that was one hour at the time it was new."

Yes, due to too many commercials and Hallmark is a cable channel, paid TV. Wasn't one of the big selling point for pay TV the lack of commercials? Sorry for the digression.

I agree about the lack of action but now that I'm older and my action is, er, slower I can appreciate "Columbo" for its intellectual appeal. Everyone who watches that show waits for the "One more thing" moment when you know the bad guy is well and truly screwed.

Cousi

Re: Columbo on Hallmark

Post by Cousi » Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:50 am

I recall enjoying Columbo, but I never saw the series. I saw I think a made-for-TV-movie or something as a kid. I have a couple friends that run Plex servers and through them I've watched the entire Barney Miller series and am slowly working my way through The Wild Wild West. Some of those still play well, but other aspects simply do not.