Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything and everything - The history of all man kind...
Cousi

Re: Today in History!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by Cousi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:13 pm

n11pilot wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:24 pm
Cousi wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:27 pm
3114 BC - The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar, used by several pre-Columbian Mesoamerican civilizations, notably the Mayans, begins. This is a non repeating base 20 calendar.
I thought both Long and Short Count calendars were repeating?
"The Long Count, for which we do not know the Maya name, is commonly considered the Maya's linear count of days. In truth it is yet another cycle, but its great length of at least 5126 years makes it essentially a linear count through all of Maya history. The earliest known Long Count date, carved in 31 BC, was found at the Olmec site of Tres Zapotes. The earliest known Maya long count was recorded in year 32 AD at the site of Chiapa de Corzo in the Highlands of Chiapas, Mexico. Like the Christian calendar, the long count has a start date: ours is January 1 of 0 AD, and theirs (by our reckoning) is August 11 of 3114 BC. But unlike ours, theirs also has an apparent end date, December 21 of 2012 AD."

The above quote was sent to me by an old professor of mine. He is an expert on pre Columbian societies and their history. He also cheats at knock poker but no one is perfect.

In his words, the Long Count Calendar is a cycle but it is an incredibly long cycle and does not repeat within that cycle.

I hope this is helpful.
It is. Thank you sir!